It’s been two-days since JUSTICE LEAGUE opened (on November 16th), and saying it’s struggling is putting it lightly, unfortunately. Deadline is reporting only $96M over the three-days. This is an absolute punch to the gut, and it really makes my soul hurt as the general consensus amongst fans is that at worst it’s a good movie, and at best a great one.
From critics in general absolutely shafting it to the Rotten Tomatoes conspiracy that dealt with a review posted under Mark Hughes’ (critic, contributor to Forbes) profile that wasn’t his; this could literally be the worst performance of a DCEU movie to date.
One thing is for sure, and that’s the DCEU fan base is sticking by Zack Snyder’s (director) side through all of this. It’s unfamiliar territory in a way, and that’s simply because I’m used to Snyder getting bashed at every turn. So far, the main brunt of things is being put on the shoulders of Joss Whedon (director) who was supposed to keep JUSTICE LEAGUE Snyder’s vision, but it doesn’t seem to be that way.
There’s been multiple– and I know, look at me now pulling out the nameless and faceless, but this is where I make the distinguishing factor, ready? Take this with a grain of salt, but multiple “sources” are “leaking” the differences between what Snyder wanted, and what Whedon gave.
A Reddit user who goes by the handle “u/redorbluepillreality” posted twenty-one, which some were,
- LONGER: Began with Bruce recruiting Aquaman. It was basically the same scene as I saw in the theatrical version this weekend. However, some lines were added by Whedon and some Zack bits were cut. Aquaman was originally more resilient and shut-off to Bruce here.
- DELETED: Barry Allen visits the library because he knows that Iris West is there. He tries to talk to her but fumbles and blushes. He mentions that “he might go and see his Dad today”. Iris likes his awkwardness but doesn’t think he’s all that special. We see Barry breaking the window with his finger to kind-of impress Iris (our FIRST look at his powers). When everyone and Iris are surprised at this window breaking, Barry just says “weak glass” and walks out.
- LONGER: History Lesson. But just by some bits. What I was most surprised by was that WB cut out dialogue by the Green Lantern, Zeus and even Ares (Yes, he was there too). They had a couple of lines each. As did Robin Wright and Hippolyta. They just kept the action in and clicked out all dialogue, I guess.
- DELETED: After taking the Mother Box from Themiscyra, Steppenwolf actually “talks” to the Box. His mother, Heggra’s essence is alive in the Mother Boxes and bringing them all together would unleash her powers – finally giving Steppenwolf an edge over his younger brother – Darkseid. That is what his plan was originally. I thought for sure that they would keep this scene in because they used a dialogue from this scene in the trailers – “No protectors here. No Lanterns. This world will fall. You will be free, mother.”
- DELETED – Cyborg’s previous life. He plays a great football match that his MOTHER (Yes, she was cast as well) attends. Afterwards, they drive home. Victor is angry that his Dad never made it while his mother tries to console him. Victor just keeps getting angry and lashing out, loses control of the car – causing a fiery crash.
Again, take that with a grain of salt since there’s no definite confirmation on this being true.
Though, we know from a conversation that Snyder had with a fan on where he apologized for not being able to give us, the fans, his vision, and even saying that he has not seen anything from JUSTICE LEAGUE since stepping down…
Ever since this came to light, it’s sparked tons of controversy. From (as I had said) that Whedon didn’t deliver Snyder’s vision like he was hired for to the possibility of an “Ultimate Cut” that fans are petitioning for. I’m still not sold that there will be, but the more this is unfolding, the more my mind is swaying in the direction of it being more possible than probable.
One of the reasons being the ” Justice league deleted scenes” posted up to Vimeo. Seeing bits and piece of what Snyder’s vision was, and the fans reacting to the same after enjoying/loving JUSTICE LEAGUE really makes me feel what I’m dubbing the “Snyder Cut” a possibility.
I think the most compelling of the scenes was the Barry (Ezra Miller) saving Iris West (Kiersey Clemons) from a car accident that would’ve undoubtedly killed her.
It’s this stuff that shows how far above other directors Snyder is. His visuals are transcending, and even when not nearly done with VFX. It was something that Whedon failed to accomplish in the scenes he reshot, and it was quite obvious.
It pains me to say, but I feel that JUSTICE LEAGUE was certainly Snyder’s last film as a director– and I know, I know, this is the opposite feeling I had not too long ago, but as things are coming out, and becoming more clear, Snyder taking on the sole chair of producer is seeming like the most likely (best) outcome moving forward. And this is backed from Deborah Snyder (producer) confirming that her husband is already working with Patty Jenkins (director, WONDER WOMAN) with her sequel.
The last thing I leave you with is the extreme encouragement for you all to go and see JUSTICE LEAGUE. Whether you haven’t seen it yet, or if you’ve seen it a dozen times. The more the better.